Monday, August 17, 2009

Busy Bees

My, it's been a busy past few days. On Friday, I spent a few hours in the kitchen making chocolate snacking cake (it was meant to go to Dad's beer co-op but ended up as dessert for home shepherd group yesterday) as well as dinner of brauts and and macaroni and cheese. On Saturday, I accompanied Mom for grocery shopping and then to Kohls, where we both bought a few shirts. Then, I was in the kitchen for about an hour making herb bread, as Mom was making dinner to take to our friends the Roths, as Mrs. Roth is recovering from surgery and the church ladies got together to plan how to take meals to the family. On Sunday afternoon, I also made the famous pizza dip for home shepherd group that evening. I went to bed at a decent hour on Sunday night and was rudely awakened by Mom at 8 AM, but I slept until 9 AM when she got me up for real. I got ready, and she took me to the Chick-fil-A on Pike Street. I walked in and was greeted by friendly cashiers who went looking for the night shift supervisor, but I was told I could fill out an application on-line. Since I want to apply at two different locations, I have filled out two applications to turn in tomorrow since I didn't see a place to submit them electronically. Hopefully tomorrow the supervisor will be there.

I'm hoping to get a job at the Pike Street location because it looks like they're looking for workers to work at night. With college, that would be perfect: part-time college during the day and part-time employment in the evenings. And best of all, I won't have to work on Sundays. Figuring out a schedule will be tricky because I don't know my exact college schedule right now, but I hope I'll learn it soon so I can get this figured out.

That reminds me, college. I talked to The Butler yesterday after church. When I showed him my transcript, he said, " so it's a 3.92 (referring to my GPA)?" I said, "yes," then he answered, "sorry, we only take 4.0's." I felt my heart sank, and then I saw him grinning. Classes with him and his humor will be interesting, to say the least. Anyway, he said I needed 70 hours to graduate, and currently I have 50. This possibly means I only have 20 credit hours left of college. I also talked to him about what I needed, and I know I certainly need a history of western civilization class. Also on the list for me to take are a history of western philosophy, a class on the Westminister Confession, and then a New Testament class, which is taught in the evenings. Mr. Butler should call me later this week concerning the classes, and I'm hoping we can straighten it out so I'll know what hours to work.

Well, today Mom started homeschooling the younger two. They've been doing well, though it was funny that both did more than needed on their vocabulary assignments. Mom would have started college this morning, but she's not going because of Seth's double year of high school. Several of my friends and peers also start today or tomorrow. Dad starts teaching history on Thursday mornings to the Geneva at Home students, who start this week as well. It's going to be a busy year for all of us, that's for sure.

No comments: