Monday, September 21, 2009

Rain, Rain, Rain

Can anyone say "rain?" I think the term "monsoon" would actually be more appropriate in these circumstances. It rained on and off some of last week, but last night was the real deal. I woke up in the middle of the night to the thunder and lightning with the rain coming down in thick sheets. I dozed for several hours, waking up when the storm was bad, falling asleep when it relented, then waking up again when it came back; Mom, Seth, and Mandy had trouble sleeping as well, though I'm not sure about Dad. It was a huge storm. Apparently it was so bad that Gwinnett County closed all public schools (which I think is stupid because the whole city shuts down at the first sign of a snow flurry. It's frankly ridiculous), though Christ College doesn't follow those regulations. We had classes as normal, though part of the church was covered in half an inch of water that spread from part of the sanctuary to the cry room and to the girls' bathroom and then also showing up as damp spots on the carpet in room 7, where Christ College meets. From what I hear, we've had ten inches of rain over the weekend and more is still on the way. Looking at the weather forecast on weather.com, we've got rain/ thundershowers for the rest of the day and up until Sunday... and we're under a flooding alert for Suwanee River (no clue where it is, but probably a couple of miles away). Needless to say, things are pretty ugly over here. Which reminds me... I need to take my vitamins, especially my D because the sun isn't shining.

I had ancient history class with Mr. Price (guest speaker on the ancient world) today, and I loved it. There is so much we don't know about the ancient world and the spread of man that the evolutionary theory completely misses out on and pushes away, calling it an anomaly and thus not important. The class gave me some ideas on what to research next, in particular regard to North America and why it never became home to a great illuvial river civilization like in Egypt, South America, India, and China they did. I'm going to do a little digging and see what I can find.

No comments: