Friday, May 15, 2009

The Trouble with Eyes

Last Friday, Dad and I went to America's Best to get eye examinations and to update our glasses. I got my first pair of glasses at America's Best, which included an exam and two pairs of glasses for about $70. We like this place, we're sticking with it. Our eye examinations went well. Both Dad and I have healthy eyes, though they have gotten a bit worse since our last examination. One interesting thing that I learned at that exam: my left eye is significantly worse than my right eye, just like Dad's. So not only have I inherited three wisdom teeth from him and a missing tooth from Mom, but now I have a bad left eye. I guess it's amazing how much we inherit from our parents. Anyway, instead of glasses, Dad decided to give contacts a try. He's worn contacts before, over twenty years ago and just in his left eye, but he wanted to get them instead of glasses. He's enjoyed his contacts, though he's still getting used to putting them in and taking them out as well as adjusting his focus because the lens is now close to his eye instead of further away like glasses are. It's sort of odd to see Dad without glasses because he's worn them for so long. Besides Dad getting contacts, I learned I would need a new prescription for my glasses (I'm sticking with them because they're easy and simple) because my eyes have worsened, especially my left one. This meant choosing new ones, so I chose a purple pair and a pink pair. I picked up my new glasses today. Even though the prescription is right, I'm still adjusting to them because they're stronger then my last pair, but the doctor said it should take only a few days to get used to them. When he was checking my current prescription, he showed me my sight with my old pair of glasses. Good grief.... I must have been as blind as a bat with those glasses. Well, good thing now is that I can see details like leaves a lot clearer than I did before, and my glasses now have some anti-glare thingy (which was originally suggested because I'm on the computer a lot and it would help prevent eye fatigue), but I've yet to notice a difference.

This week it finally dawned on me that I have one full week at home before I leave for Houston. It's like when you graduate: you know it's coming but you don't take it seriously until a few days before it happens. Mom and I did some more clothes shopping on Wednesday, but it's not much and I'm still missing vital things like summer dresses and things I can wear on Sunday. Wal-mart had some adorable dresses, but they puckered out in a way that made me look like I was much bigger than I already am. I think fashion designers for plus girls or those above a size four should actually know how their bodies work and not just estimate it. But I digress. We're going to go on another shopping trip possibly on Thursday because it's the only other day we can do it thanks to finals at Geneva and then the Graduation ceremony being next week.

In regards to the stupid bird, last night he did not sing. I've determined it was a mockingbird because his songs are imitations of other things like crickets or songbirds. I find it a bit odd because mockingbirds are currently not in mating season and the only reason the males sing at night is if they're single. Maybe the bird outside my window found himself a mate who was annoyed with his incessant singing. Well, I'm holding my breath to see if he'll be back tonight or sometime soon. Until then, I'm not counting on the fact he seems to have stopped singing. I will, however, welcome some peace and quiet from that annoying beak of his.

I've been out of GGC for a week now. I received A's on all of my finals... except for science because my slacker teachers never posted my final exam grade for it. I'm assuming it was an A because I have all A's this semester, but I'll probably never know. Darn teachers. Oh, well. At least I won't have to worry about them and their stupidity anymore. I'll just move on to having the interesting classes at Christ College, Lord willing, classes with interesting teachers like Mr. Butler.

No comments: