Thursday, May 7, 2009

Good-bye, GGC

Well, it's come down to this. I had my last final this morning, finishing my fourth semester/ second year at GGC. I am thus free of GGC, as I have no plans to return there unless I want to take more Spanish classes in the future, as I'm most certainly not taking history there. Anyway, it's been a crazy few days filled with studying and last-minute studying. On Monday, I took my science final at 11 AM and finished an hour later (I think I did pretty good though I'm not sure), and at 2 PM I took my government final (I think I made an A). I was on cloud 9 after government because Dr. Budryte paid me a high comment, saying (I think) that I was the best student in my class and in the other government sections. It was like a birthday present all its own. Mom also did her final on Monday, and she's been very happy ever since then; her teacher was grieved that she didn't do the extra credit like she normally does (but after writing four essays, I could see why Mom didn't want to do the extra credit). On Tuesday, I stayed home and studied for history before taking it at 6 PM. It wasn't that bad because it was non-cumulative and I knew pretty much everything. Dr. Mason quickly graded our final tests, and I was ecstatic on Wednesday to learn that I had gotten a 100 on my final, which I've never done for this class before because of those stupid essays that he nitpicks over and takes off points for fairly dumb reasons. Anyway, I spent Wednesday cleaning the house and studying. Blair came over that afternoon to study with me, and she stayed for dinner; it was a fun time, and I enjoyed it. However, after the studying, I remembered that I had to do one more thing in preparation for tomorrow: the "Crash" assignment. Two weeks ago, Dr. Haynes unexpectedly announced that we had a project about the movie "Crash" and various "mental disorders" of the characters. Besides the fact that we were given no warning about this project, my team was very disorganized. I did the paper, and two of the other guys did the powerpoint, leaving Blair with nothing. The powerpoint was very sloppy and completely clashed with the paper I had written, even though I had let the other two read the paper before the presentation. Needless to say, Blair and I were disappointed at the way it had been carried out. On a brighter note, I think I did good on my non-cumulative psych final, much better than that last killer test. After finishing the final, I went to the bookstore and sold all but three of my books (the three were "out-of-date" and thus couldn't be used. The joys of expensive college textbooks that cost a fortune and then you get a tiny fraction of the money back. Oh, well.). And then Mom brought me home, where I've been goofing off after a hectic week of studying. Now I can focus more on preparing for the trip to Houston, as there are some things I need to take care of before I leave like a haircut (my hair's too thick to be worn long in humid, Southern weather).

Oh, and I turned 20. No, I don't feel any older... not yet anyway. Mom took me shopping for an outfit on Monday after school, but I've yet to do the extensive summer/ Europe trip shopping. I have something coming in the mail, but it's not arrived yet and I keep wondering what it could be. Seth, who's getting tired of me using his power cord, keeps saying he'll order me a new power cord but has yet to do so.

Now I want to talk about some memories I'll have of GGC, both good and bad.

Good
  • The fall 2007 semester when Blair and I would eat lunch with some classmates
  • Fall 2007 finals when the "lunch group" talked about random things for about an hour after the computer final and had a blast
  • Fun Spanish classes in Fall 2007 and Fall 2008
  • The long afternoon conversation with Blair and Hannah when I tried to count my pennies but Blair disrupted my train of thought ;)
  • Doing the research for my English 1102 project in Spring 2008 on the Solutrean theory and finding my passion: history
  • Dr. Mason's hilarious comments and "story-telling" during History 2112 in Spring 2009
  • Studying with Blair for psych in Spring 2009
  • Fall 2007 when everyone was kicked out of class instead of me (not to sound arrogant here)
  • Giving my science presentation with Hannah in Fall 2008 and then by myself in Spring 2009 (though working with a friend on a project is better sometimes than going solo)
  • Probably Fall 2007 when Blair and I tried throwing a ball up to the second floor of Building B in the cafeteria. We didn't make it, but it was fun anyway.
  • Spring 2008 when I got together with several peers to make "Bobby's Bad Day" for my video project in digital media. So much fun!
  • Discussing Irish music in music appreciation Fall 2008 :D
  • Making it on the President's List and Dean's List a few times
Bad
  • Dr. Rafshoon's history 2111 class Fall 2008
  • That horrible transatlantic lit class Fall 2008 that I dropped after the first day
  • Dr. La's Jedi teaching Spring 2009
  • Spring 2008 when I discovered bugs at GGCity Cafe and ceased eating there for the rest of the semester
  • The rowdy physical class 1 in Fall 2008 when the boys were disruptive and the teachers didn't do anything to hush them up
  • The inefficiancy of the doormen at GGC Idol in Spring 2009
  • The pool party that stank in Spring 2009
  • Some emotional issues in Fall 2007 that often made it hard to concentrate
  • Dr. Haynes' inability to communicate via e-mail and her throwing of random projects on us with little warning in Spring 2009

That's all I can think of for now. Well, back to goofing off. I've got another musical rant idea, though it's less about the music and more about how certain Irish groups are promoting themselves and seeking fame and fortune. I'll probably post it soon, so watch for it, if you're interested.

1 comment:

J. Blair said...

If you really think of it, there are more good times than bad times. :)