Sunday, May 3, 2009

Finals... almost here!

Well, in about 12 hours, I will be sitting down in Building A and taking my physical science final at the same time Mom will take her biology final. Then, at 2 PM, I will sit down and take my government final. Two cumulative finals in one day. I'm more confident about science but not as much about government because we never had a test over our most recent material and so I'm not sure what to expect from Dr. Budryte. Quite a way to celebrate one's 20th birthday.

Mom and I have been studying ever since last week. I started studying on Friday but kept getting distracted with the laptop. So on Saturday, I never turned it on, and it's amazing how much studying I got done. It's funny, in a way, that on Saturday Mom planned the entire day so she would have peace and quiet to finish her paper and study. However, Saturday was anything but quiet. We had the Presleys come over in the morning so Mr. Presley could look at our air conditioner, as it's been acting weird again, but they left right after Mom and I did to clean the church. We got the church knocked out and came home to find our neighbors CJ, Vaneigh, and Shula there. To give you an example, if those kids are near, they will not leave you alone with their questions and their demands like "I want a water bottle." "I see juice in your pantry. Can I have some?" It requires a lot of patience to deal with them because they don't seem to get a lot of attention at home and spend most of their time wandering all over our neighborhood, looking for kids to play with. It's a sad situation. Anyway, Dad's co-worker Pascel (not sure if I spelled his name right. He's from Haiti) came over to bottle his beer that they had brewed last month. With the kids in the house, I couldn't study so I went out onto the back deck and lay there in the sun with my possessed MP3 and studied. A thunderstorm rolled in, so I moved to the front deck. It was nice and quiet outside, and the only disturbances were those darn carpenter bees (they've discovered the new wood to munch, and it's been a battle between them and Dad) and the slivers I got in my foot (my fault entirely). Anyway, Pascel went home but the kids didn't. They hung around for some time, up until about 7 PM. Grandpa Mike came over for dinner, as he'd been in the neighborhood, and it was nice to see him again because we don't see him that often except only a few times a year. The kids had fun trying to "fight" Grandpa, and we sent them home while we enjoyed beef and fried potatoes for dinner. We were still eating when the kids came back and asked to play, but Dad had to send them home (no one's looking forward to summer when they'll probably be here all the time but Seth and Mandy will probably be working and I'll be in Houston so they'll be a bit short on playmates).

Tonight (Sunday evening) Mom and I stayed home from evening service so we could continue studying. Another storm rolled in, which pleased Mom greatly because she always studies best during thunderstorms or rain, though I stayed inside part of the time when the lightning started getting threatening. I do have to say, I love spring storms. I love how afterwards the grass and trees look all thick and green and feeling the cool breeze. It's very lovely, and now with the new deck it's easier to enjoy.

Well, I got to get off and get back to studying. I want to study one more thing before I go to bed tonight, and my goal is to be in bed by midnight. Ah... just one more week and I'm free of GGC!

No comments: