Friday, May 14, 2010

A Stressful Day

Ok, one of these days I'll get to posting about my birthday, but right now I'm not really in the mood. Today I was reminded why I really dislike cities.

A few weeks ago, I made plans to attend the orientation at Georgia State so I could take care of some things there and get introduced to the campus. We had it all worked out, and everything seemed to go well this morning when Mom dropped me off. Orientation itself as ok, though the campus itself is a labyrinth set in the middle of the labyrinth of Atlanta (not to mention being right next to Grady Hospital and Cabbagetown). Still, it was uneventful, and I did everything I wanted, except for one thing that I may have to do later. I signed up for classes, and it all worked out perfectly so that I only attend them on Tuesday and Thursdays, something I really wanted to do, so I was relieved. However, the worse was yet to come.

Mom called and asked where I was so she could get me, but I had no clue because of the campus' design. While I tried to guide her with the map that I had taken (I thought it would be helpful for figuring out buildings and such, but it wasn't), my phone died and so I stood on the corner of a street for several minutes until finally Mom and Mandy found me. We had slight trouble getting out of Atlanta, then I realized how stressful the whole morning had been. Mom had spent two hours trying to get onto the right highway after dropping me off, and then she had had to call Dad again after my phone died. To kick myself for past mistakes and indecisions, I treated Mom and Mandy to Zaxby's for lunch then helped straighten up the church before the big cleaning day tomorrow.

Make no mistake; every time Mom goes downtown, she ends up getting lost; we joked that we should buy her a GPS. But, then again, Atlanta was very poorly designed, with several one-way streets and the like... not to mention the location of the GSU campus. Mom and I both agree that we should blame the Yankees for it; after all, Sherman burned the city to the ground and forced us to re-design it Yank-style. So, we're blaming it on the Yanks. And also on my inability to drive, which is becoming very crippling and frustrating at the moment.

So, today was a stressful day. While I'm looking forward to starting my classes in August and commuting via a bus, still today didn't go as well as I would have liked. But, it's all in God's hands, and I pray He will sanctify all of us through it.

No comments: