Tuesday, December 21, 2010

How to Miss an Eclipse

Practically everyone knows by now about the lunar eclipse that took place in the wee hours of this morning. Several friends on facebook were talking about it. I planned to see it but technological difficulties prevented me from doing so.

Last night, we had a game night of sorts. We had originally planned for a movie night with friends to watch "Inception", but with our TV acting strange, we changed our plans. It was a fun evening, and I discovered not to play monopoly with my cousin Gabe; he was acting like the city's mafia and was involved with two other guys in stealing the other players' money (which resulted in further theft from the bank). Anyway, because a few of the girls were spending the night, they decided to go to Blockbuster and get a movie. The TV still acted weird, but Gabe helped to keep it under control as they watched "The Last Song". By then it was after midnight, but everyone decided to stay up and witness the total lunar eclipse. The moon was beginning to disappear into shadow, and I wasn't sure about staying up late. I decided instead to set my phone alarm to 2:55 so that I could sleep for a while, wake up, go outside, and then see a red moon. I did this, but my alarm never went off. Apparently, I should have made sure that the alarm was set for AM instead of PM. Oh, well. I'm not sure if the others witnessed the event, but I'll have to ask Mandy when she gets up.

No comments: