Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Spring Break! For the Others....

Yep. This week is spring break for Geneva and its students and teachers. A bit late, I would think, but they go on until late May while I'll be out the first/ second week of May (as soon as they release the exam schedule, which I would think they should have done by now). Anyway, nothing big has happened except for Seth's birthday yesterday. It's so hard to believe that he's 17! Nothing big happened for his birthday, except that he went to dig a trench at the church (which we thought was funny) and Dad came home late due to it being the end of the quarter. We're planning on going bowling with the family on Saturday, so that will probably be his celebration of sorts. Mom's enjoyed her spring break because no school planning for her to do, except she has been studying for an upcoming bio test. Mandy had fun on Monday when Bethany G. spent the night. Dinner was an interesting affair, as the two were giggling and doing the most random things that you wouldn't think Mandy would do. The girls watched "Twilight" (blech! Scrap the romance, but keep the action, which was pretty cool) and then decided to stay up until 3 AM.... when they had to get up around 7:30 AM. After spending most of the day at the zoo with the Abrahams and some other moms and their kids, Mandy went to bed around 10, which is unusual for her. And she slept for a long time, as when Mom and I went to classes this morning at 10:30 she still hadn't woken up yet.

School has been extremely busy, hence the lack of updates (well, due to a mixture of procrastination and studies). I thought I'd do my science project on the outer Solar System this Friday but decided against it because of three (possibly four) tests this week and because of an upcoming history newspaper project. But, on the side of science, I'm free of the Sith Lord! Yes, I came up with a name for Dr. La: Sith Lord. I had my last lecture with him on Monday, which was about ETs and such. Then he gave us a test to see how much we knew about the characters from Star Wars. I swear, he's turned me off of Star Wars (though not completely, as I'll explain later). And this is the quality of higher education: a teacher who's convinced that one day Darth Vader will come back and that he'll be taken away. Blech! I hope Dr. Purcell makes up for my brain-melting, though I'm not counting on it, as he went all environmental on us during our last few lectures (good thing Mom discussed environmentalism and global warming with her classes, so I soak it all up like a sponge :) ), even going as far to tell us that hamburgers release as much CO2 into the atmosphere as a car. Sorry, Dr. Purcell. You won't make me a vegetarian; I like my beef too much. Anyway, at least Dr. Purcell won't go all weird like Dr. La does, so I'm looking forward to that at least. Government has been busy too, with projects being due (one of which was due the day of the Celtic Woman concert and which I furiously had to finish) and a test today. Psych hasn't been that bad, as I'm glad we were given mercy and didn't have to do our take-home test last week. I hope she delays the test a little further, but it's hard to tell. History was a bit about piling things on, but I managed. History class last night was entertaining (I learned what a lobotomy is and I think everyone was a bit disturbed afterwards), especially with video clips of people during the Cold War being told to "duck and cover" in case of bombing. Then there was the talk about cars in the 50's, especially the one with a trunk seven by five feet big. Otherwise, nothing much has been going on at GGC besides boring newspaper club meetings, beginning to eat lunch earlier and not buy from the school, and things of that nature.

As a family, Saturday was busy for all of us. Mom and I were driving to go clean the church when suddenly the power steering started acting weird. We thought it was normal, as the power steering acts weird when it rains. Mom and I afterwards went to Costco to get a few things when we discovered that the electricity was dying in the car. The car died, so we bought our things and then waited for Dad to arrive. We thought the battery was dead, so we bought a new one. We were about to leave when Dad suddenly stopped us and ordered Mandy to turn off the car, as he had discovered that one of the belts had come undone. This belt, we figured out, came undone when Mom had driven through a puddle near the church, which had prevented the battery from being charged (sounds sort of like an episode of "House") and which had made the car die. Well, we got the belt fixed, and now the van is working just fine. After running around for two hours and trying to figure this out, we went home. A few hours later, we drove up to Houschton for a clan gathering. We had fun playing with the Wii, especially the bowling that we teased each other about. I took several pictures, but I've yet to upload them.

In the midst of everything being busy, the urge to write has been strong and has been a major cause of procrastination in getting things done. While I sat in Dr. La's class and heard him talking about Darth Vader causing solar flares, I kept remembering a story I had done a long time ago when I still posted on the forum. It had been a Jedi/ Sith story, where someone would post something as a character or two, and then someone else would post. I jumped into the story midway and joined as the evil Sith lady Ennuasa, who was the bane of the Jedis' existence. While I had been thinking about it, I decided I wanted to try to find the original thread. I did find it, and it's actually quite funny and often quite random, though it grew more serious as time went on. Now, I've been going through the thread and writing down what happened. I'm hoping at some point to go back and rewrite the entire story just for fun and good memories. That is, if my other story will not suck me in, though it's being uncooperative at the moment.

Before I end this post, the weather has been slightly warming up down here. The trees have budded and are now turning green again, though it still looks bare outside. It's been raining for the past few days, though I think now maybe the rain is over for now. The weather's being a bit weird, as one day it'll be in the 70's and sunny then the next day it'll be in the 40's, windy, and cloudy. While I'm welcoming the warm weather, there's one thing I'm not looking forward to that Mom and I sensed today: humidity. It'll be interesting to see how humid this summer gets, though I won't be here this summer, so I'll get to see how Houston's weather turns out (on that note, I got my passport last week!).

Well, that's all I've got for now. I've got another idea for a music rant, though I'm not sure if I'll post it or not.

No comments: