Friday, April 17, 2009

Death of the Electronics

I think my laptop and headphones are in an alliance against me. Why? Well, the power cord for my laptop has disappeared and my headphones were tossed in the garbage yesterday. I've known for a few weeks that I'd need to buy new headphones because the little covers for the part that covers my ears were torn. Yesterday, I was on my laptop and watching a live performance of Secret Garden on youtube (Norwegian- Irish band Secret Garden is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine) when the sound started acting weird. I thought it was the sound on the laptop, which has given me grief before, so I turned it off. However, when I used the headphones a little later to listen to my MP3, I couldn't hear the melody, only the bassline for Sondre Lerche (Indie artist from Europe). That convinced me that my loyal headphones were no longer working, so I threw them away when I got home. They served me well, and I'm glad they lasted for a few years. However, that will make listening to my MP3 impossible (unless I borrow Seth's headphones, which ironically I bought him for Christmas, like I'm doing right now) and music on the laptop interesting.

And now on to the power cord. Yesterday, GGC had its annual Spring Bash. Last year it had been for Perimeter students but the GGC students "crashed" it. The Bash took place in the remaining 1/4 of the Green (the other 3/4 has been torn up to make way for the new library when they could have easily been built in the kudzoo, but I digress), and it was much smaller than last year's. I ate a snowcone, and then Blair and I walked onto the remainder of the Green, where they had set up a few inflatable thingys; one was like a crash course, where you have to climb over stuff and under stuff to race someone else, another was a basketball court/ boxing court, and the other was some sports thing that barely anyone used. Oh, and not to forget the rock-climbing wall as well. Well, I had to lug around my heavy backpack on wheels because I'm not leaving my laptop in a corner while I have fun, especially when you take into consideration the electronics robberies that have been going on on campus for the past two years. Anyway, so I was pulling my backpack behind me most of the time, and at one point I saw my laptop cord sticking out, so I pushed it back in and didn't think anything else about it. The Bash was ok, and I'll try to upload pictures later (though it might be a while if my cord is gone). After the Bash, we went home to prepare for company coming over for dinner so I used my free time to keep music downloads going (which makes me wonder why I have to like the most hard-to-find artists and hard songs), which can only happen on the bedroom computer. Well, after a fun time with the Hortons, I decided to bring out my laptop because I usually stay up on Thursday nights, but then I discovered the cord was missing. I went out to the van to see if it had fallen out, but it was not there either. From what I can gather, it probably fell out of my bag somewhere on the Green during the Bash. Despite the fact it's gone, I'm not going to go crazy about it because the power cord was already broken (as I believe it was actually sucking power from my battery at certain times) and I had already considered replacing it before I go to Houston this summer. Besides, last night I borrowed Seth's cord, so I can do that... on occasion, when he's not using his laptop. The only thing that sort of bums me out is that I can't write or listen to my music on the laptop, but I confess I more than likely need a break from it. I guess my itching fingers will have to wait a little longer, but it'll probably be for the best because finals are in two weeks. I'm not really concerned about either broken/ missing electronics, as both needed to be replaced anyway and then I've already dropped the hint about wanting new ones for my upcoming birthday in a few weeks.

Oh, and one more thing before I forget: Geneva Christian Academy is over. For years, the school has struggled in various areas yet has remained open to try to keep students graduating. However, at a recent faculty meeting, three of the teachers announced that this was their last year and they weren't coming back next fall. Due to this, as well as a few other difficulties, the school is closing down at the end of May. We're still working on details, as some of the students may have trouble being homeschooled, but it looks like Mom may still be teaching two science classes to whomever. As I said, no details have been confirmed. This won't impact us, as Mom and Dad told us a month ago that Seth and Mandy would be homeschooled next fall. And, because Mom is a faculty member, we kids have known about the school closing down before most of the other students did, so it wasn't a shock to us. Seth and Mandy are looking forward to being homeschooled again (except Mandy'll be a little disappointed she won't get to hang out with Bethany every day, but that's a different issue), and Mom is as well. It's sad to see Geneva go, as I graduated from it and was there for four years, but I'm glad that I had the opportunity to go in its "Golden Days." I've been thinking of making a slideshow- video of Geneva throughout the years because Mandy and I have so many pictures of the school and the students, but nothing's come out of yet because we lack the technology for it and because frankly I don't like doing slideshows because they cause my laptop to lock up. Anyway, despite Geneva closing down, Christ College is not being impacted, except it can now take over the classrooms, so going there next spring shouldn't be a problem, which reminds me....

Well, I need to get off the blog and get back to work. We're having company tonight with various Geneva and Christ College students coming over for dinner and movie, so I need to make sure the laundry is done and the house is clean. Maybe my next post will be another music rant, as I've got a few bouncing around in my fiendish brain.

No comments: