Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Stormy Beginning

Spring has seemed to come in like a roaring lion. Last Friday, we Cunninghams were watching a movie when we saw lightning outside. Surprisingly, there were no storms nearby, except maybe south of us. Dad and Mom then sent us out of the room while they watched "No Country for Old Men." I was listening to the radio in my room when the host suddenly announced that a tornado had just struck the Georgia Dome downtown and had damaged the top while a game was playing. A few hours later, we checked the news and discovered that the CNN building had also been damaged. Apparently, this tornado is one of the few to ever strike inside a major city since most happen on the outskirts. On Saturday, we learned we would get more storms. It was a cloudy day, and we went about our usual errands. Dad and Seth went to Men's Prayer Breakfast, and Seth got his hair cut afterwards. Mom, Mandy, and myself went to clean up the church, and we went to Costco to get supplies for church/school. When we walked out of Costco, we saw huge black clouds a couple miles off. The wind started to pick up, so we quickly loaded up the van and drove home. When we got home, it was sunny but slightly humid. Shortly after we got home, the hail came. At first it was small, about the size of beads inside a Beanie Baby, but then it turned quarter-sized. It lasted for a few minutes before stopping, and the ice melted. With all the stormy weather, we were concerned that we wouldn't be able to go to Houschton to hang out with the rest of the Cunningham clan. However, the storm cleared and the sun came out, so we went. We had a blast hanging out with the clan. We grilled hamburgers and hot dogs for supper. I would have taken pictures, but my charger is still missing. I'm thinking of buying myself another one since it's been missing for almost a month and I've searched the house all over with no sign of it.


The weather here has definitely been warming up. Our trees in the front yard are starting to bloom. Our white one has the first flowers, and our crabapple is getting leaves. Our grass is nice and green, and the seed Dad planted about a month ago is growing splendidly in the bare spots of the lawn. Today we're supposed to get more rain and storms and Seth was supposed to plant more seed, so let's hope maybe our beautiful lawn will return.


And now for a funny incident. Lately, Mandy and Bethany won't stop yapping on the phone or text-messaging each other. Well, about a week ago, Mandy took a shower and brought the phone with her. She placed it on the sink counter and put it on speakerphone so she could continue chatting with Bethany. Typical Mandy: a socialbug. Two weeks ago, Mom and Seth got new phones. With the new phones came a new phone plan. Dad added the texting service, which is, I believe, paying a couple more dollars for unlimited texting. Ever since then, we've all, except Seth, been using the new application. Even Mom and Dad have been using it.


Spring break was busy for me. On Monday and Tuesday, I babysat Avalyn and Kiera Abraham. On Wednesday, I cleaned the church. On Thursday and Friday, I spent those two whole days finding notes for my English research paper. On Monday I finally finished organizing my notes, but now I have a bad feeling that my research was all in vain. However, we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: