Monday, May 14, 2012

My Big 23rd

So, yes, it has happened: I have turned 23 years old. And yes, it is quite frightening to think that I am that old.

Anyway, I had a good birthday this year. I originally did not have any plans for my birthday, other than my birthday dinner and getting my gifts. Dad then suggested that we go see "The Avengers," and I whole-heartedly agreed to the plan. We invited some friends to go with us, so we had a decent-sized group.

I spent the 3rd and most of the 4th doing some proofreading work for a Christian publishing company (to clarify: I get paid for it, but the work is so sporadic that I don't really consider it a real job), and I was itching to get it done by the weekend, which I successfully did. Mom took me over to Kinko's, where we scanned over 200 pages and converted them into a digital file and then sent them off before we picked up Zaxby's for dinner. I quickly figured out my reimbursement for work and enjoyed the meal.

Then it was time to go see the movie. In the past, seeing movies for my birthday can be hit-or-miss (for example, I was terrified after watching "Fellowship of the Ring" for my birthday years ago, which I have gotten over, and I was not fond of "Spiderman 3," which I still do not like). However, this movie was well-worth seeing. As I said, we five went to the theater and met up with five other friends. Mom had bought the tickets earlier that week, so all we had to do was walk into the crowded theater. The group ended up splitting up because of a lack of room, but we were only a row apart. We watched some pretty worthless trailers (which is typical nowadays) and listened to some guy in the back loudly make a crude comment which made most of the audience laugh. Guess it just goes to show you how crude humor is nowadays. Anyway, the movie finally started, and we all really enjoyed it. You can check out the review on my "Ramblings" blog for more details. Afterwards, we ten stood around and talked about what we liked and how much fun we had. Then we all went home.

For my presents this year, I got a new MP3 (because my old one was becoming very irritating in various ways), clothes (some of which I have yet to go out and buy yet), a hand mixer (which has already gotten some good use in the kitchen), and "The Hunger Games" trilogy for kindle (I have read the first two books and am working on the third).

On Saturday, Mandy had her senior pictures taken by a lady at our church; we have yet to see the final product, but we are eagerly awaiting it. After the photo shoot, Mom made my birthday dinner. By request, there was steak, mushroom risotto, and green beans. It was a delicious meal, and we all enjoyed it. While we ate, we watched "Captain America," one of the recent predecessors to "The Avengers" and the only one of the series that we had not seen yet.

It was a good birthday, and now everyone's focus has turned to the rest of the month. We've got camping trips, trips to Florida, parties, and much more between now and the end of June. Not to mention that this year Mandy and I are going to the family conference in Virginia, though we are going with a much smaller group this year. So, needless to say, we are going to be quite busy for the early part of summer.

No comments: