Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Animal Antics

Two recent events that are humorous and about animals.

Event #1: for the garden this year, Mandy suggested that we try to grow strawberries. We bought some plants and have planted them in cinder blocks, so we shall see how they do. Anyway, this year the squirrels have been particularly bad in raiding the garden boxes. For some reason, they like digging in the boxes, which often kills the sprouting plants. To solve the problem, Dad made a kind of screen made of chicken wire and some pieces of wood; we lay it on top of the boxes, and it allows the plants to grow but prevents the squirrels from digging in the dirt. However, we didn't count on what would happen last week.

That day, for some reason, the squirrels were being particularly mischievous in our backyard, and Mom was constantly going outside to shoo them away. Well, one of them decided to be bold. He approached one of the strawberry plants, grabbed it, and then took off across the yard with the plant in his mouth. Mom, Mandy, and I stood there in shock before Mom shooed away the others. We're not sure why the squirrel wanted the plant, but it was a rather humorous moment, watching a squirrel uproot a plant and carry it away.

Event #2: I have never been much of a breakfast eater, but lately I enjoy having two pieces of pre-cooked bacon for sort of a light meal (until I find a better replacement, which I am thinking up as I write this). This morning, I microwaved my bacon and sat down at the table. I prayed and then, when I opened my eyes, I found Boo right in front of me, sniffing at my meal. I shooed her away, and miraculously the deaf cat walked to the edge of the table. I only had my eyes closed for five seconds, and that cat had the audacity to try and steal my breakfast. She is getting bolder in her thievery, and I do not like this new development.

No comments: