Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving

Well, I'll jot down this quick post before bed, else I will forget about it tomorrow.

Thanksgiving was wonderful. It was the first real family reunion that I've attended since returning from Houston, so it was nice to see everyone again. Mom made rolls and a huge batch of mashed potatoes, and there was plenty of food. Uncle Jason fried two turkeys (which were delicious), and then there was the stuffing and the gravy plus a bunch of side dishes. I don't think I've ever eaten so much potatoes and gravy and creamed corn in my life before. After the meal, the kids ran outside, but they soon returned inside when it proved to be very cold and windy. The adults sat around the table (there were about three or four tables that we joined together so everyone could see and talk to each other) and talked about various subjects like roughing it out in Montana or hilarious childhood memories from Dad and the uncles. We stayed there for about six hours before everyone began to depart. When we got home, it was around 7 PM, but it felt much later. We watched a couple of movies (well, I watched one of them. I was busy working on nano word count) before going to bed while Dad brewed.

On Friday, Mandy, Sunny, and I got together to spend the night with Grandma Linda. We spent a few hours in the later afternoon shopping for Christmas presents before going back to the house with Papa John's for dinner. Grandma taught us a new card game, and we had a blast with it, staying up late to see who would win. In the end, Grandma won, and even Mandy, who had been in the negative zone for the first few games, ended up with a higher score than me. Saturday dawned warm and sunny as we drove up to Tangier Outlets in Commerce for a few hours. It was packed there, but we found some good stuff. I bought a few things for myself, and I contemplated brown boots, which seem to be the fashion nowadays, but I'm waiting until after Christmas when they are sure to be much cheaper. The crowds started getting bigger and we were getting hungry, so we went to McDonalds for a late lunch then went home. All in all, a good weekend.

Otherwise, nothing much has happened since then. Mom and the kids went to a planetarium on Monday (which meant waking up at 6:30. Ugh), and they enjoyed it. I discovered that I have this week and next week of classes before finals, which is freaking me out a bit because I'm still trying to think of a topic for my 12-page history paper; once I know that and get the research, my fingers will fly. We're still talking about Plato in philosophy, which is still making my head spin though reading it I see subtle topics that are relevant and seen even in today's modern society. It's interesting, to say the least.

Well, I've got to get to bed. I've got to get to school early tomorrow for a longer philosophy class (because we spent one entire class period discussing good literature instead of Plato, so now we have to make it up. Thanks, John).

No comments: