Tuesday, January 13, 2009

First Week of Classes

As of now, I can now say that I have been through one week of college and now know a little better how to judge my classes and what to expect. On Wednesday morning I learned that I did not have physical science lab that day and thus only had one class. I spent the morning and early afternoon at Building A until I went to Building B for my government class. Dr. Budryte is Lithuanian and seems nice and enthusiastic, but government/ politics has never really been my subject, so the class is only ok. On Thursday, I had another long day with only one class in the morning and none in the afternoon. Dr. Haynes in psychology was nice, but I'm still not sure what to think about the class itself yet. I spent the afternoon after lunch at the gym, and I felt good afterwards. On Friday morning, I arrived at Building A and spent ten minutes trying to find my classroom in the maze (no kidding, students have gotten lost looking for the bathroom). When I found it, I was amazed to find that classroom was absolutely huge. The science class hasn't changed much, as I have one of the same teachers and several of the same classmates. It was almost like I'd never left, to an extent. After school on Friday, Mom took me to Geneva and I hung out there for the rest of the day. So finished my "first" yet incomplete week of classes.

The second week has been very busy, as it is my first complete week of the new semester. I now can sort of tell which classes I like and which ones I'm not really interested in. On Tuesday, I was nervous when I went into my history class mostly because the last evening class I took (chemistry) I flunked and dropped out of. However, I met Dr. Mason and my fears were laid to rest. He is a nice guy and often made funny remarks that made the whole class laugh. The history class looks very in-depth, focusing not on dates but on why events happened and how they impacted future events, which is what I'm used to. I'm also looking forward to the newspaper project that's due at the end of the semester, as it'll require me to look up an old copy of the New York Times and talk about how different America was at the time. Too bad the class only meets once a week, but I so far I don't mind the length of the class. I'm also liking the science class, as right now we're talking about astronomy, a subject that I'm fairly knowledgable in. I also met my earth science teacher Dr. Purcell, and he's also nice and made the class fun. Government is an ok class, not a favorite, though I am proud to have gotten one of the highest scores in a baseline test that determined how much we knew about government and current politics. Psychology is also an ok class and is a little bit boring, and I believe I've finally managed to get a copy of the expensive textbook. I've been going to the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and tomorrow I'm looking forward to the pool party (it's indoors and heated) that GGC is throwing.

Seth and Mandy had a quiet first week back at school. The seniors and juniors (Cliff, Ben, and Christopher) took the junior/senior trip up the eastern coast, with Pastor Chris going with them. Seth and Mandy were quickly bored, as Mr. Price was not teaching that week and Pastor Chris and three of their schoolmates were gone. Mandy missed her classes, as most of them were study halls, and was glad to get her teachers back this week. Yesterday the seniors, juniors, and Pastor Chris returned, much to the happiness of the teachers and students. For Geneva at Home this week, Mom did some simple tests on a few students to determine blood type. One of her young students actually fainted after being pricked with the needle, but it was interesting that his younger brother in a different class fainted the same day while giving a book report. Anyway, the students at Geneva have had fun pricking their fingers to find out their blood type. Mandy had a bad experience with hers, as Bethany did the pricking and did it three times, way more than necessary, and Mandy was then disappointed to discover her blood is not O positive like most of her classmates and friends.

On Saturday, Mandy and I had a nice time going shopping with Grandma Linda and Granny. We first went to the Mall of Georgia and shopped at a few shops before stopping for lunch at the food court. Mandy and I went to Chick-fil-A for lemonade, which we're allowed to drink because it's real lemonade, and then we shared a plate of Chinese chicken, which we devoured quickly and bought a second. Then we went to Old Navy and then to a thrift store in Buford. We had fun at the thrift store, as we were estimating our sizes due to the fact there were no changing rooms and we even took a few pictures. Mandy and I both bought underwear, some tops, some skirts, and then Mandy got jeans and a pajama outfit that came with a fleece blanket. We had a nice time going out and celebrating our early birthdays.

In regards to the diet, we had to end on the third day because preparing the food was too time-consuming for Mom. However, we've cut back on the sugar we eat and also cut down eating portions. I've gotten used to being hungry and haven't dashed to the kitchen or the vending machines for food as often as I used to, and I've drank almost only water for almost two weeks, except for some orange juice, lemonade on Saturday, and then a little sparkling grape juice. It's actually not been bad, except yesterday I had a craving for a coke but forced myself to ignore it and drink water instead. Mom's begun losing weight already, and we girls have been pretty consistent in avoiding sugar. Another reason we're ignoring sugary drinks is that Mom read an article where they discovered that drinks with high fructose corn syrup can make a person's liver look like that of an alcoholic, so we've not been drinking anything with that in it.

Well, that's all I can think of for now.

2 comments:

Brittny said...

Sounds like your busy! It's great that you have access to a gym so close! And a college swim party in January--how interesting. How big is this pool?

Ashley said...

It's a decent size, about maybe thirty feet long and fifteen feet wide or something like that. I'll probably post a picture or two from the party on facebook eventually.