Saturday, June 2, 2012

Memorial Day Fun

So, we've got a few hours to go before Mandy's graduation party starts, and the last few days have been very hectic. But, before I forget, I'll mention a hilarious event that happened on Memorial Day.

At the farm where the church holds their annual Memorial Day picnic, there is a small lake that most people use it for boating and such. For years, no one dared swim in the lake because it doesn't look very clean and because of giant snapping turtles living in its depths. Last year, because it was so hot, several of the teenagers and young adults jumped in to cool off, and this year was no exception either, even though its temps were reasonable. Last year, someone decided to organize boat races, and they were held again this year. I teamed up with a friend, and we were the first to go up for the women's team. The green boat we were in was a bit tipsy, and it actually tipped half-way over while we were trying to get it into the lake. The race itself was largely neck and neck, and we did better than I expected. We were on our last leg when the other boat got too close and knocked into us, making the boat tip. I grabbed my glasses and bandana just as our boat flipped over. One of the young men jumped in and helped us push the boat back to the shore. It was difficult treading water with me fully dressed (and wearing denim, which is heavy to begin with), but I finally reached shallow ground. Apparently, according to my partner's oldest brother, we were the most entertaining ones to watch. So, needless to say, I spent the rest of the afternoon soaked, but it was fun.

And thus is the tale of my first time being in the water on Memorial Day.

No comments: